If you are looking for a fresh and filling lunch time salad or perfect side dish, this herby lentil and couscous salad is exactly what you need. I love taking inspiration from dishes I find in stores or on menus, and this recipe was inspired by my favourite Woolworths salad with Bulgar wheat and lentils. The Woolworths salad tahini dressing is such a winner, although I decided to bulk mine up with chickpeas and turn it into a thicker hummus-like dressing. If you love fresh herbs the way I do you’ll be addicted to the crisp tang they add to this salad, but feel free to change up the recipe by adding your favourite herbs or by simply adding a few less to the dish!
Serves: 4 mains or 8 sides
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- ½ cucumber
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups lentils
- 2 cups couscous
- 40g coriander (about 2 cups)
- 20g dill (about 1 cup)
- 20g mint (about 1 cup)
For the hummus dressing:
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup tahini
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 garlic cloves
- Pinch of chilli powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- Place 1 cup of dry couscous into a bowl, add a crack of salt and cover with 1 ½ cups of boiling water. Allow the couscous to absorb the liquid for 10 minutes.
- While you wait, dice up the cucumber, tomatoes, and the herbs.
- Drain and rinse a can of lentils and chickpeas and set aside.
- Now for the dressing. Add the dressing ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. You can adjust the thickness of the dressing by adding less or more water.
- Once the couscous is ready, break it up with a fork and allow it to cool for a few minutes.
- Add the diced cucumber, tomatoes and herbs to a large bowl with 2 cups of the cooked lentils and 2 cups of couscous, along with a good crack of salt and pepper. Stir well until all is combined.
The hummus dressing can be served on top of the salad or it can be mixed into the salad. Serve with warm pitas and falafels if making this dish into a dinner or bigger lunch meal. Serve cold.
I would love to see your take on this recipe! Tag me on my Instagram account @amber_gisele so that I can share the love.
All my love,
Amber Gisele X