I absolutely love healthy food, and this love for healthy food paired with a degree in English made for an easy transition into food blogging. I’ll admit that I have not been spending enough time on this platform due to being ridiculously busy with the writing of my new eBook, but I would like to change that. Even if that means writing a blog post for you all at 05.30 like I am this morning!Now, let’s get onto the recipe: A beautifully bold Beet, Butternut & Greens Pizza!
The bold and fresh flavours of the earthy beetroot, crisp rocket and savoury, yet sweet butternut work perfectly together on this simple whole wheat wrap base. I am a huge fan of simple, yet delicious, and let’s not forget affordable plant-based meals. This recipe truly celebrates just that, along with three beautiful vegetables and the stunning colours they all bring to the meal.
I have found that lunch ideas seem to be what most of us struggle with, but I have been loving this pizza for lunches lately, and I know you will too!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
For the beetroot hummus:
- ½ medium roasted beetroot
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup tahini
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 garlic cloves
- Pinch of chilli powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
For the toppings:
- ½ medium beetroot
- ½ cup cubed butternut
- ½ large courgette
- ½ avocado
- 1 handful rocket
- Sprinkle of rocket micro greens (optional)
- 1 small wholewheat wrap
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cube about a ¼ of a butternut, slice two medium beetroots and slice ½ of a large courgette into coins.
- Place the butternut and beetroot into the oven at 180°c for 45 minutes, or until the butternut is soft. There is no need to precook the courgettes, and don’t worry about your beetroot still being a little al dente!
- While your veggies are in the oven, it’s time to make the beetroot hummus – or feel free to use a good quality store-bought hummus.
- Add all of the hummus ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. You could add more beetroot depending on how much you like the sweet, earthy flavour it brings.
- Once the butternut is soft, remove from the oven and start on building your pizza!
- Add the beetroot hummus as the base of the wrap. Top with the courgette coins, butternut cubes and sliced beetroot. Add a crack of salt and pepper and place into the oven on a pizza stone or tray for about 8-10 minutes or until the wrap edges begin to brown and crisp.
- Remove your pizza from the oven and top with avocado and fresh rocket.
Enjoy your pizza straight out of the oven for a perfect lunch or lighter dinner. The clean flavours are a true favourite combination of mine, and the beetroot hummus always adds a wow factor if catering to others or sharing with friends.
If you are as into meal prep as I am, this pizza can take you 15 minutes to throw together, which comes in hand for many of us with our busy lives. Prepare your roasted vegetables in advance and cut your cooking time down to allow for more time to be spent on that book you aren’t finding the time to get to!
This pizza could also easily be turned into a wrap for the convenience of packing it for lunch. Simply add the toppings as fillings this time and either keep the wholewheat wrap as is or give it a light toasting in the oven or in a sandwich press. Delicious and convenient!
Share your creations with me by tagging me on my Instagram account @amber_gisele – I’m looking forward to seeing your favourite pizza toppings!
All my love,
Amber Gisele X