Last week I had a killer craving for rice paper rolls. If you are not a fan or have not yet given them a try, trust me, they are a treat! As someone who absolutely loves veggie sushi, these green summer rolls provide an extremely similar taste – which is full on yumminess! I pair mine with pickled ginger and light soy sauce to really get into that sushi realm, but you can pair it with any dipping sauce of your choice!
Not only are these summer rolls super delicious, they are also insanely filling – much more so than they look, I promise! After three I am so FULL yet I still feel light and healthy, which is a must for me after my meals these days.
These little guys are perfect to prepare for a picnic as they travel so well, and making them with friends or loved ones is a fun start to the meal. Let me also tell you that the fun you’ll have when deciding what to put in them is awesome, but I opted for something a little more packed full of green for this time around. And trust me, there have been many rounds of me making these pretty parcels over the past few weeks.
I simply love them!
These summer rolls are…
- full of nutrients
Now let’s get onto the ingredients!
- 3 rice paper rolls
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/4 medium cucumber
- Cook the quinoa according to the package instructions and set aside to cool.
- Slice up the raw zucchini, cucumber, and avocado into thin slices.
- Place two large flat plates onto a countertop, fill the one with water and use the other to roll up your summer rolls.
- Soak the rice paper sheet according to the package instructions. You may need to let it dry on a paper towel after it has been soaked. Although, I simply let mine dry on the rolling plate for around 1-2 minutes!
- Once the rice paper sheet is sticky, start to fill it with your green things and quinoa!
- Now it is time to roll them up… Start by lifting the bottom of the sheet and pulling it up and over the filling, tucking it in tightly. Then fold in both sides one at a time. Finish by rolling it all up towards the top of the sheet. That’s it! It really is that easy.
There are so many amazing fillings for rice paper rolls so start having a look on platforms such as Instagram and Pinterest for some inspiration. They are such a fun way to prepare food and will be perfect for those beach day picnic baskets in the warmer months to come!
Please share with us all in the comment section below a few of your favourite fillings! I’ll be sharing another favourite with you all soon – but a little hint in the meantime… spicy mango!
Amber Gisele X