Whether you are someone who enjoys vegan food every now and again, or someone who has never even given vegan food a second thought, this challenge can mean something to you.For those of you who are a bit more clued up on how to eat a vegan diet, this month can be about pushing yourself to eat fully vegan for the full 30 days, or, for those of you who are completely new to the idea, this month can be about you making small and conscious steps towards eating more plant-based (no strings attached and no judgements will be passed).
The October Vegan Challenge does not have to be an “all or nothing’ approach. Let’s rather make it about learning about a vegan lifestyle in a way that is accessible to everyone, no matter where we are on the scale. If you are following me throughout your October Vegan Challenge, it is important to me that you know I am focused on teaching you how to make these changes for the long run – if that is what you want to achieve.
Small changes can become habits. Let’s create some good habits together!
My free eBook is here on my blog ambergisele.com – You can Download my eBook by searching for it under the Lifestyle tab and clicking on the download link!
Tips & Tricks
* Inserts from my free eBook
Take it slow, no pressure!
A few simple changes you can make this month…
- Switch out your normal cow’s milk to a plant-based mylk alternative (almond, soy, rice, oat, etc.)
- Find 5 go-to easy vegan recipes that you can make for yourself at home! (I’ll include a few of my favourites for you below)
- Find a few lovely restaurants for you and your friends or family to go to together during your Vegan challenge month. Sharing in social moments together over vegan food can be a ton of fun, so rope in a few good friends and make it happen (I’ll help you with my favourites down below)
- Set yourself the goal to choose plant-based foods over animal products at every given opportunity. That way you can break the challenge down into mini goals!
Join the Vegan Community Online – Instagram, YouTube & Pinterest!
– Find Vegans on your favourite Social Media platforms and see how they do it and what they like to eat. This works as incredible inspiration! Pinterest is your best friend when it comes to searching for meal ideas or if wanting to find the vegan version of your favourite meals.
Veganize your favourite meals
Keep it simple!
Do not underestimate how good a bowl full of roasted vegetables can be. That is what I ate for the first month when starting my plant-based journey (I looked and felt amazing – if I do say so myself).
Cronometer and Dr. Greger’s Daily Dozen are two free resources that will help you tremendously along this journey! Cronometer allows you to log what you have eaten and track whether or not you are getting in all the nutrients you need in a day (this is a super fun way to show others that your vegan diet is healthy and nourishing)! Dr. Greger’s app is another free resource that provides you with the plant-based food groups you should be eating in a day (which is an easy way to help you plan what you all eat in your day).
Documentaries to inspire
Documentaries are a super easy way to inform yourself about the health benefits of plant-based eating. Some of my favourites include What The Health, Cowspiracy, Food Choices and Forks Over Knives.
Clear out & stock up
Get rid of the animal products in your home that will tempt you during the month of October. Clear them out or lock them away! Then it’s on to stocking up on some fresh produce!
Shopping List Ideas
Chocolate Smoothies/ smoothie bowls:
- Bananas (Freeze in chunks)
- Cacao or cocoa powder
- Peanut butter
(Blend all of your ingredients together until smooth.)
For an Oatmeal/ blender pancakes option:
- Plant-based mylk
- Peanut butter
- Bananas/ berries of choice
- Maple syrup (if you want to be really fancy and splurge)
(For the pancakes, blend the ingredients together to form a delicious pancake batter.)
- Avocados (ripen at home bags are the cheapest!)
- Whole Wheat bread (make sure it is vegan by checking the ingredient list for milk powder)
- Chickpeas (canned)
- Avo (on top)
(Mash up your chickpeas, fry up the remaining ingredients and combine.)
- Wraps of choice
- Filling ideas:
- Roasted veggies
- Raw corn
- Raw peppers
- Whatever you had for dinner wrapped up with a few greens is always amazing!
Wholesome Grain Salads:
- This can be exactly what you would put into a wrap, but instead, throw it with some whole wheat CousCous, Quinoa, Brown rice, Barley, whichever grain you like best!
Rice Paper Rolls:
- Rice Paper
- Raw crunchy veggies:
- Iceberg lettuce
- Pickled ginger
- Tamari/soy sauce/pesto
(Slice your veggies into long and thin slices and wrap them up in your rice paper rolls.)
- Roasted aubergine slices
- Lettuce of choice
Creamy Mushroom Pasta:
- Pasta of choice (I use Whole-wheat)
- Mushrooms (your favourite type)
- Orley Whip Cream (vegan coconut cream found at PnP, Checkers and other supermarkets)
(Fry up the onions, garlic and mushrooms while your pasta cooks. Add them together along with the cream and stir well. Season to taste.)
- These amazing bowls mean pretty much throwing together a bunch of yummy things while ticking all of the nutritional boxes all at once!
- Grain of choice
- Greens of choice
- Roasted veggies (butternut, sweet potato, peppers, onions, courgettes, mushrooms, etc.)
- Raw veggies (tomato, cucumber, beetroot, carrots, etc.)
- Avocado (A category all on its own)
- Sauce of choice (Hummus, pesto, tahini, etc.)
Loaded Sweet Potatoes/ Potatoes:
- Sweet potatoes
- Red kidney beans
- Baby spinach
(Roast your sweet potatoes whole for 45 mins or until soft. Fry up the remaining ingredients to top the sweet potato.)
MY FREE EBOOK HAS THE RECIPES FOR SOME AMAZINGLY TASTY AND SIMPLE VEGAN MEALS. USE THIS SHOPPING LIST AND MY EBOOK RECIPES AS A ‘WHAT TO EAT’ GUIDE DURING THE MONTH OF OCTOBER!
My free eBook is on my blog ambergisele.com (follow the link on my Instagram). You can Download my eBook by searching for it under the Lifestyle tab and clicking on the download link!
One of the best things you can do for yourself during your October Vegan Challenge is to find 5 go-to meals for your dinners! The best ways to do this is to search for vegan dinner ideas on Pinterest, or have a look at some of my suggestions or the suggestions of other people you follow! Have these 5 easy to make meals in your October Cook Book so that you never have to worry about what to eat for dinner!
Or recreate your family favourites with meat and dairy alternatives!
Meat & dairy alternatives to consider:
- Fry’s Family Chicken Nuggets, Schnitzels & Burgers
- Quorn Chicken Schnitzels & Burgers
- Fry’s Family Sausages
- Fry’s Family Burgers
- Linda McCartney Sausages
- Linda McCartney Burgers
- Soy Mince
- Fry’s Family Sausages
- Linda McCartney Sausages
– Almond, Soy, Rice, Oat mylk, etc.
- Nature & Moi Vegan Cheese
- Fairview Vegan Cheese
- Nutritional yeast
– Orley Whip Dairy Free Cream
Cape Town Vegan & Vegan-Friendly Restaurants
*Where to hang out this October!!!
Breakfast & Lunch Spots:
- Nourish’d – CBD
- Scheckter’s Raw – Seapoint
- Cafe Paradiso (Buddha Bowl) – Gardens
- Harvest – BoKaap
- The Poke co – CBD
- All Things Good (Bagels) – Stellenbosch
- Tashas – V&A Waterfront
- The Kind Kitchen – Woodstock
- Orchard on Long – CBD
- Jarryd’s – CBD
- Maison J (Croissants) – Camps Bay
- Royale Eatery – CBD
- Lekker Vegan – East City
- Home by Homage – CBD
- Wild Sprout – CBD
- Skinny Legs – CBD
- Si Cantina Sociale – Silo District
- The General Store – CBD
- Maria’s – Dunkley Square
- The Strangers Club – Green Point
- Spirit Cafe – Constantia Villiage
Above: Harvest Cafe – BoKaap
Above: Nourish’d – Gardens
- Woodlands Eatery (Pizza, Burger & Tacos) – Vredehoek
- Beluga (Sushi) – De Waterkant
- Sevruga (Sushi) – V&A Waterfront
- Active Sushi (Sushi) – De Waterkant
- Royale Eatery (Burgers Burgers Burgers!) – CBD
- Plant (Fully Vegan) – CBD
- Balducci (Vegan Menu) – V&A Waterfront
- Colcacchios (Pizzas!) – Any!
- Scheckter’s Raw (Fully Vegan) – Sea Point
- Home by Homage (Many vegan Menu Items) – CBD
- Prashad (Curry) – Gardens
- Curry & Craft (Curry) – Observatory
- Maharajah (Curry) – Observatory
- Fat Cactus (Tex-Mex) – CBD
- El Burro (Mexican) – Any! (Fave: Green Point)
- Nona Lina (Italian) – Gardens
Above: Active Sushi – De Waterkant
- Charly’s Bakery (Vegan Cupcakes) – East City
- Jessy’s Waffles (Vegan & GF Waffles) – Gardens
- Maison J (Vegan croissants) – Camps Bay
- Harvest Cafe (Vegan desserts) -BoKaap
- Royale Eatery (Vegan Milkshakes) – CBD
- Unframed (Vegan Ice-cream) – Gardens
- Moro (Vegan Gelato) – CBD
- Honest Chocolate (Vegan tarts & chocolate) – CBD
Above: Charly’s Bakery – East City
- OZC Farm Market – V&A Waterfront (My second home)
- Vegan Goods Market – Khanyisa Waldorf School, Plumstead
- MOJO Market – Seapoint
- Old Biscuit Mill – Woodstock
There are so many exciting discoveries to be made when trying out something different. This Vegan Challenge will not only expose you to an entirely different way of living, but it may also take you on a spiritual journey you’d never expect. There truly is nothing to lose and so much to gain. I’ll be here every step of the way. Contact me on my Instagram @amber_gisele with any questions before and during your October Challenge month!
Eeeeep! Let’s do this!
All my love,
Amber Gisele X